This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attributions 4.0 International License
Instructions for Authors
- Papers submitted for publication to JOURNAL OF INDEPENDENT STUDIES-HEALTH & BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES (JISR-HBS) must not have been published, accepted for publication or currently be under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Ethical considerations: A statement must be included indicating approval for the study granted by the ethics committee/institutional review board of the relevant institution. Authors should verify that consent from study subjects and involved institutions was obtained. Authors may be asked to provide the consent forms.
- Conflict of interest: Authors will be asked to provide details of any competing interests and funding.
- JISR-HBS encourages authors to follow STROBE checklist for observational studies and CONSORT checklist for intervention studies.
- All papers sent to JISR-HBS will be peer reviewed.
- Submission: Research articles should be based on original research based on primary data. In case a research uses secondary data, the needed documentation form the data sources will be required as per journal’s policy.
- All authors may be asked to verify their contribution in the research. No change in authorship will be permitted after the paper has been accepted for publication.
- Acknowledgements: Author(s) are required to acknowledge any third party assistance in due course of development of manuscripts. These assistances can be related to research methods, data analysis, or evaluation of manuscript before submission.
- Funding: All the funding acquired from any sources and used in any manner during the development of said study should be listed in acknowledgement section.
The instructions set out by the editorial office of JISR-HBS are to be followed by authors while preparing the manuscript(s).
The article must be prepared in English language written in active third person. The author(s) should avoid using any personal pronouns e.g. “I”, ’’Me”,”Us”,”We” and etc. The content must be clear and any ambiguity must be avoided.
Research Article Length:The permissible word limit range for research article is 2000 to 6000 words.
Title: The title of the manuscript must be specific to topic and should not contain more than 120 characters. The first alphabet of each word in whole text of the title excluding articles, conjunctions and prepositions must be capitalized.
Abstract: The structured abstract should present the precise summary in maximum of 250 words. References should not be cited in the abstract and abbreviations should also be avoided. The abstract should be divided in the following sub-headings.
- Background of Study
- Study objective
Keywords: 4 to 6 keywords must be provided in alphabetical order.
Research Articles: The main text should be divided into Introduction, Background or Literature Review, Methodology, Results, Conclusion and Discussion, Acknowledgements (If any) and References.
Review and Letter Articles: There is no set format of text formation for Review and Letter articles. However, the whole manuscript should not be distracted from the basic format and must include Abstract, Keyword, Text and References. The text of the review article must include background of the study. It further entails the recent developments in the study of the field. The author(s) should also present their observations in the study.
Thematic Issue Articles: The thematic issue can be comprised of both types of articles. Therefore, guest editor is required to finalize the layout as per mentioned details.
Thematic Issues: JISR-HBS encourages authors to submit single themed issue comprised of 3 to 10 articles of current topic of interest relating to the important issue of the field. The issue can be comprised of either research articles or review articles or mixture of both. The issue is primarily managed by guest editor. The guest editor is responsible to invite contributors of thematic issue. The guest editor is required to get all the submitted articles reviewed and revised according to reviewers’ opinion and prepare articles according to journal’s guidelines. Guest Editor is entitled to submit the proposal of thematic issue to acquire prior approval of EIC.
Symbols and Units: All the special characters presented in the manuscript must be inserted as SYMBOLS as all the manuscripts undergo formatting changes and these characters may degrade or lost. Please note that these symbols should not be result of any formatting style type (Symbol font face) or they may be lost during PDF/XML conversion.
All the measurements must be stated in International System of Units (SI) and only ISO approved symbols should be used in case of any parameters formatted in italics.
Equations and Mathematical Expressions:
- All the equations and related symbols/variables must be inserted using build-in equation and symbol function in MS WORD or GrindEQ.
- The build-up fractions should also be inserted using equation function or GrindEQ
- Authors should avoid using more than 2 characters in the exponential function.
- Author(s) should evade using the non-consistent references that are generally not used anywhere else in the manuscripts.
- Author(s) should number all the equations as follows: (1),(2),(3)……….(n)
- Equation number should be left justified.
- Any punctuation should be avoided at the end of an equation.
- Author(s) should be careful with the number zero (0) and the letter O; the number one (1) and the letter l, the Roman letter v and the Greek letter nu (n) and other such characters.
Supporting Material: Authors are allowed to include any number of figures, tables, dataset and/or any additional relevant supporting material with each article.
Consent form: All the submissions must accompany duly filled and signed consent letter in which Principal/Corresponding author agrees the terms and conditions prior to publication on behalf of all the Co-authors. All the terms and conditions are presented in the consent letter. The authors accepts and acknowledges that the journal have legal right to take necessary steps against the authors for the violation of the conditions laid down in the contract.
References: JISR-HBS use APA reference citation style only. Avoid using references in Abstract. Note that the references should be complete and produce accordingly. Examples of references are listed below in APA style.
Mitchell, J.A. (2017). Citation: Why is it so important. Mendeley Journal, 67(2), 81-95
Mitchell, J.A., Thomson, M., & Coyne, R.P. (2017). A guide to citation. London, England: My Publisher
Troy, B.N. (2015). APA citation rules. In S.T, Williams (Ed.). A guide to citation rules (2nd ed., pp. 50-95). New York, NY: Publishers.
Mitchell, J.A. (2017). Changes to citation formats shake the research world. The Mendeley Telegraph, Research News, pp.9. Retrieved from https://www.mendeley.com/reference-management/reference-manager
Mitchell, J.A. (2017, May 21). How and when to reference. Retrieved from https://www.howandwhentoreference.com.
Some important points to remember:
- Complete and accurate references must be provided.
- Names of all the authors must be cited and there should be no use of the phrase et al in Reference Section
- Avoid using superscript formatting type for reference presented in-text and in reference section.
All the other lengthy methodological details can be presented in Appendices if required. Please note that the Appendices section must not exceed the page limit of 3 (Times New Roman, 10 point fonts, 1.0 line spacing). More than one Appendix can be titled APPENDIX A, APPENDIX B, and so on.
Note that all the figures must include caption below with the number and must be cited in the text. Any reference contained by the figure(s) should also be cited. Author(s) should avoid using any third party tools to compress the figure or to reduce the size of illustrations. Supply only those illustrations which have 900-1200 DPI resolution. All the figures must include caption with figure number in the following format:
Fig. (1). Description of the figure.
Figure caption font size = 9
Accepted Formats of figures:
PDF, PNG, JPEG and Microsoft Word/Power point (version 7 and +; one figure on one page).
- All the tables must be inserted in tabular form using Excel spreadsheet.
- Every table should include self-explanatory caption with respect to the details discussed in the table.
- Every table must be cited accordingly in the text.
- Rows and Columns must be visible and borders of each cell must be displayed as black lines.